Starlite Recovery Center is the leading substance use disorder and co-occurring behavioral health treatment center in the heart of Texas. Starlite is proud to offer customized treatment services to adolescents of all genders ages 13-17.
Comprehensive Treatment Experience
Features of the adolescent program at Starlite Recovery Center in Center Point, TX
Adolescents are affected by addiction and co-occurring behavioral health concerns differently than adults are. Their stage of life lends itself to having different views of the world around them. They are also still in a state of growth and development physically, mentally, and emotionally. These factors must be taken into account when developing programming for adolescents who are struggling with addiction and mental health concerns.
The adolescent program at Starlite Recovery Center in Center Point, Texas, is a stand-alone program that offers detox and residential services for youth of all genders ages 13-17. In order to participate in this program, youth must have a primary substance use disorder, but can have a mental health concern as a secondary condition.
In order to ensure that every adolescent receives a truly comprehensive experience while at Starlite, we provide the following therapeutic interventions:
- Detoxification: Physicians are on hand to offer medically managed detoxification services, with assistance from our 24-hour nursing staff. While in detox, adolescents meet with our physicians daily, and then as needed while in residential care. Detox can last anywhere between one and seven days, with the exact length of time determined by the youth’s needs. Adolescents can also participate in therapeutic programming while in detox as they are able.
- Medical care: Subacute medical care is available within our adolescent program. Our physicians and round-the-clock nursing staff are able to provide care for diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, and can assist adolescents who are in casts or have minor wounds. The clients, however, must be ambulatory and able to perform their own activities of daily living (ADLs).
- Medication management services: Psychiatrists are available to meet with adolescents on an as-needed basis. All medication decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, and our psychiatrists and nursing staff closely monitor any youth who is taking medication.
- Individual therapy: Adolescents receive one hour of individual therapy sessions with a credentialed, master’s-level therapist each week.
- Group therapy: Adolescents participate in group therapy several times a day for a minimum of 20 hours each week. These group sessions cover a number of topics, including feelings and emotions, dealing with stress, relationships, healthy coping skills, self-esteem, trauma, relaxation, family dynamics, and ways to have fun without using drugs or alcohol.
- Experiential therapies: Getting adolescents out of the traditional therapeutic setting and allowing them to have free time is of the utmost importance in helping them to get the most out of their care. We have ropes courses, equine therapy, and gardening available as supplemental experiential therapy options.
- Education: At Starlite, we do not want to interrupt a youth’s education while they are in our care. For that reason, we offer an educational program that provides schooling for all adolescents for four hours each day. Part of this programming includes credit recovery so that youth are able to remain up-to-date with their classmates at their home schools.
Effective, Evidence-Based Treatment
The foundation of adolescent care provided at Starlite Recovery Center in Center Point, TX
Evidence-based treatment is at the core of the care we provide at Starlite Recovery Center. As such, we incorporate the following effective therapeutic modalities into our programming:
- 12-Step model of recovery
- Trauma-informed care
- Motivational interviewing
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
When adolescents engage in our programming, we make sure to tailor every part of the therapeutic process to their needs. With young people, this includes paying special attention to where their views of the world lie. For example, adolescents tend to place their focus on the way that their peers view them. This can negatively impact their recovery in a number of ways. If they are too focused on what they believe their friends will think, they are not allowing themselves to care about their recovery. Additionally, the way that adolescents view their parents, guardians, or others in positions of authority is typically much different from the way that adults do. This might cause them to be purposely defiant in certain circumstances, which can be extremely unproductive when trying to set and achieve recovery goals.
In order to steer adolescents in the direction of successful recovery, the staff at Starlite places an emphasis on having discussions around these topics and on helping youth to overcome the cognitive distortions that may be preventing them from healing.
Admissions into the adolescent program at Starlite Recovery Center in Center Point, TX
The admissions process in the adolescent program at Starlite begins with parents or referral sources contacting the call center at our facility. During the call, a qualified staff member will conduct a pre-screening in order to make an initial determination as to whether the adolescent meets general criteria for our program. Based on this screening, the staff member will request additional records from appropriate sources, particularly if the youth is currently in an acute care hospital. Our clinical director and director of nursing will then make a decision regarding the adolescent’s appropriateness for admission after reviewing any records provided.
An additional part of this process includes pre-authorizing the adolescent’s stay and relaying insurance or out-of-pocket information to appropriate individuals. After this, our staff will set a specific date and time for admission.
The typical length of stay in the adolescent program is 45 days. However, the actual length of stay will be dependent upon the youth’s needs and treatment progress.
For more information about the adolescent program at Starlite Recovery Center, please contact us at your earliest convenience.