Starlite Recovery Center in Texas helps individuals struggling with stimulant addiction build a strong foundation for long-term recovery. The expert & caring staff at Starlite will help you or your loved one smoothly transition from detoxification to our residential rehab center.
Learn about stimulant abuse treatment at Starlite Recovery Center
Stimulants are a broad category of drugs with effects that include elevated blood pressure and heart rate, heightened focus and attention, increased energy, and related responses.
In addition to unregulated legal substances such as caffeine, the category of stimulants also covers more powerful substances, including prescription medications such as Ritalin and Adderall, and illegal drugs such as cocaine and methamphetamine.
When you abuse a prescription or illegal stimulant, your body may adapt to the presence of this drug in your system, and you will begin to crave the substance. When this has occurred, and you then try to stop or significantly reduce your stimulant use, your body may respond with a variety of distressing physical and psychological symptoms. This experience is known as withdrawal.
What happens during stimulant withdrawal
The following are among the more common symptoms of stimulant withdrawal:
- Powerful cravings for stimulants
- Intense fatigue
- Muscle pain
- Problems with coordination
- Excessive perspiration
- Elevated respiration and heart rate
- Agitation and aggression
- Mood swings
- Problems with concentration or focus
When you try to get through this experience on your own, the intensity of withdrawal symptoms and the knowledge that they can be alleviated by returning to your previous pattern of stimulant use can quickly overwhelm your desire to end your self-defeating behavior.
Unfortunately, the shame and frustration that can result from a failed attempt to stop using stimulants can push you deeper into the downward spiral of substance abuse, and can complicate future efforts to achieve recovery.
The good news is that there is a better way to rid your body of stimulants. This process, which is known as detoxification, offers increased safety, enhanced comfort, and a much greater likelihood of success.
Detoxification for stimulant addiction at Starlite Recovery Center
When you choose to enter detoxification, or detox, at Starlite Recovery Center, you will work with experienced professionals who can guide you through the process, manage your symptoms, and prepare you to make a smooth transition to your next level of care.
Detox at Starlite occurs in a closely monitored environment. You will benefit from around-the-clock supervision, and you will not have access to stimulants or other substances of abuse. This prevents you from allowing temporary discomfort to push you into immediate relapse.
In addition to ensuring that you do not abuse stimulants or other drugs, the members of your detox team can also help to ease or alleviate the distress of stimulant withdrawal. Certain prescription medications can counteract some of the unpleasant aspects of stimulant withdrawal, and various therapeutic techniques can also help you to manage your symptoms.
Completing detox under the care of experienced professionals also helps to remove the fear of the unknown. The men and women with whom you will work at Starlite Recovery Center have experience in all facets of detox and are prepared for all challenges or contingencies that may occur. Their guidance and support, combined with their compassion and commitment, will serve you well as you take this important first step along your path towards long-term recovery from stimulant addiction.
Long-term benefits of detox for stimulant addiction
Helping you to rid your body of stimulants with safety and comfort is an important immediate benefit of detoxification. But this is not the only advantage to participating in detox at the outset of your recovery journey.
The following are among the long-term benefits of completing detox for stimulant addiction:
- Peace of mind – As indicated in the previous section, choosing detox can give you the peace of mind that you will successfully complete an essential step towards long-term recovery. This peace of mind can serve you well as you continue to walk the path of recovery.
- Sense of achievement and success – It is no secret that long-term untreated stimulant addiction can have a demoralizing effect. When you start your recovery by successfully completing detox, the resultant sense of accomplishment can lead to a brighter and more optimistic outlook, which will help you to overcome future obstacles.
- Connection with the recovery community – Addiction can be an isolating experience. While you are in detox, you may have the opportunity to connect with others who are in a similar situation, share thoughts and support, and begin to appreciate the great power of the global recovery community.
- Seamless transition to next level of care – After you complete detoxification at Starlite Recovery Center, you can transition directly to the next level of care. This ensures continuity of treatment, protects you from immediate relapse, and puts you in position to build upon the progress you made in detox.
To learn more about detoxification, or for answers to any questions that you may have about any aspect of programming at Starlite Recovery Center, please feel free to contact us at your convenience. A friendly and knowledgeable member of our team is available to speak with you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We look forward to helping you determine if Starlite is the perfect place for you or your loved one.